DataMinerComprehensive Information and Data Management System
Formerly known as Data-Miner
DataMiner is the complete information manager, able to create from the simplest to the most complex reports. All common data-manipulation functions are provided, including the ability to search, sort, print, extract, update, dump, and copy your critical information.
- DataMiner replaces multiple utilities and gives you one simple product to accomplish most of your day-to-day data handling and reporting tasks, saving you time and licensing costs.
- Besides its own simple language, DataMiner also understands Easytrieve. This means you can take your existing Easytrieve programs and run them unmodified with DataMiner. Or users who are used to Easytrieve can include Easytrieve commands and parameters in their DataMiner jobs.
- Supported data sources are sequential and VSAM files and DB2 databases.
- DataMiner can access DB2 for reporting, extracting, and updating. Data can be extracted from a DB2 table into a VSAM file or sequential file. DB2 tables can be populated from VSAM or sequential files.
- DataMiner can import and interpret COBOL data definitions. Simply include your copybooks(s) and DataMiner does the rest. No redefining of record layouts is necessary.
- DataMiner is useful for a number of tasks—without requiring extensive programming skills—including
- COPY one file to another
- SORT a file into any order, selecting, skipping, and updating records on the way
- DELETE or INSERT records in a file
- UPDATE records in a file
- EXTRACT parts of records and/or files into a new file
- PRINT a report from a file (automatically formatted or user-formatted)
- DUMP a file or selected records or fields to the printer
- SHOW selected fields on the printer
- DataMiner can change file organization, recording medium, block size, record length, or record content while copying data to a new dataset.
- DataMiner has a simple PRINT command and a more powerful report writer. The PRINT command produces a formatted report that DataMiner lays out for you. Records can be selected or skipped for printing, so you get a report of just the data you want.
- When a more detailed report is required, the DataMiner Report Writer is up to the job. It can sort the report into any order you like, summarize fields, do control breaks, and print totals. The Report Writer is equally at home producing mailing labels. DataMiner understands Easytrieve's well-known REPORT-statement syntax.
- DataMiner uses your normal SORT program to sort files into any order you like. Its commands are far more friendly than those of SORT, and you can write pre-sort, post-sort, input, and output routines in DataMiner so that your file sorts become easier to maintain and understand.
- DataMiner/Online is an online VSAM editing system that programmers use as a development and testing aid:
- All VSAM and temporary storage read/write functions are supported under CICS
- Records can be displayed in either alphanumeric or hexadecimal format
- Records can be read by key, and browsed, added, updated, and deleted without any programming knowledge
- DataMiner's ISPF editor lets programmers browse and edit any dataset that they have access to. Editing can be done in character, hex, or both, making it an ideal tool for incorporating test conditions into datasets quickly.
- DataMiner/VE is a general purpose VSAM module that simplifies and standardizes access to VSAM files
- Works with any language that can call an assembler routine including fourth generation languages (4GL) such as NATURAL and Focus
- Provides a more efficient way of accessing VSAM from programs written in COBOL and PL/I
- Works for CICS programs, bringing new simplicity to the job of the online transaction programmer
- Provides consistent VSAM access across applications and processing environments, and reduces VSAM training needs for your programming staff—VSAM expertise is no longer required to access VSAM files!